CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Jaxson's Bike Scare

Jaxson had a scary experience on our first long bike ride. Inevitably we had to go down a hill sometime so we went over the whole brakes thing several times and it seemed like he understood and did well when he practiced. So we took off slowly, well... me, never doing this whole teaching a kid to ride a bike thing before, started off on my bike to the side of him...(STUPID STUPID) and he went faster than I expected. We started on the road so there weren't any sidewalk biffs, and he went straight onto the sidewalk. He was going so fast, but he went up a driveway so I thought he'd stop then because the fast hill kinda scared him. Well he didn't stop, he turned to go DOWN the sidewalk, and then totally forgot how to use his brakes and tried to put his foot on the ground but the seat was too high to stop him, so he just took off. Luckily he was a good steer otherwise he would have fell off the sidewalk for sure and hit his head or scraped himself up pretty bad. I had to get off my bike and chase him to stop him, there was no other option for me because he took off fast and in front of me. But me as a parent failed AGAIN! haha because in this case I didn't think it out before to make sure it was safe. Man he was SOOO terrified, he was shaking. and we went over the brakes again, he didn't even want to go fast on the straight road. He said over and over how I taught him the brake "Pedal Pedal Stop", it was kinda funny, but it took like 45 minutes to get back home with how slow he was going. But since then he's been on his bike several times with his cousins, but stayed away from the hills for sure.
He loves his new bike though for sure.

0 comments: